Friday, December 09, 2005

A Word About Overdue Fines

I received a call from a gentleman (he was anything but). He had two Chilton’s repair manuals checked out since 2002.

“What do I have to do to take care of this?” he asks me.

“First, you need to return the books, then you need to pay the fine under $25 to avoid collections.”

“How much is the fine?”

“If you return the books the overdue fines will be the price of the books, if you don’t return them you will be charged the price of the books plus a processing fee for each book. By returning the books, you avoid the processing fee.”

“Well . . . is there anything I can do about that . . . because I just forgot to return them.”

You don’t think you should have to pay the overdue charge because you forgot? . . . Because everyone else who pays the overdue charge . . . well, they just did it on purpose.

“I can set up a payment plan for you,” I tell him. “But that’s all I can do for you.”

After a long silence he hangs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home