Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Meaning of Life

A young boy (I'm guessing about 9th grade) comes up to the desk and tells me he needs a book about "the value of life."

"Can you be more specific?"

"Well, I have to write a paper and I need a passage from a book about the value of life."

Just for kicks I do a word search for "value" and "life." Sometimes you get lucky. But not this time.

I explain to him, "I don't have any books just about the value of life. Can you pick something more specific? Maybe I can find something about that."

There is a long pause. I can actually hear the wheels in his head grinding together.

"I don't know." He finally stammers. He actually expects me to still find him something.

"Well," I try and say as nicely as possible, "I think that's part of the assignment. So why don't you think about it and come back up."

By the way, could you also just write the paper for me? Hand me the answers to the proficiency and write a college entrance essay?

What a mean, old, rotten librarian I am. Making him do his own assignment. The nerve!

1 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Blogger Anonymous said...

I just discovered yoru blog, and i love it. But seriously, he went through all that effort to walk into the library! You could at least be nice and do the work for him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home